Monday, February 13, 2012

big amigurumi mission part one

I've been making amigurumis for almost 5 years.
and since the last two years I made at least one amigurumi every week.
Can you imagine how crowded would my room be if I keep all of my amigurumis?
Actually it wouldn't be too crowded since I only made small amigurumis.
the biggest amigurumi I ever made is only 30 cm tall, and the rest are just about 10 cm talls.
it's not that I didn't want to make bigger amigurumi, but here in Indonesia it's hard to find bigger yarns, and I'm too lazy to just adding more stitches and rows to make the amigurumi bigger, and please don't offer me bulky yarns, I hate it.
I spent last week looking for the perfect yarns in both online and offline markets, and finally found two candidates.
the first yarn is a 100% acrylic yarns, which doesn't have much color variations.  I bought it in an offline store at Blok M Plasa, Jakarta, and as suggested by the store owner, I knit it using two plies of yarns in a time to make it bigger. it works, but I haven't finish it yet, so let's talk about this yarn later.
then today (or was it yesterday?) the yarns I order from an online store arrived, cotton yarns. I originally love to use cotton yarns for my amigurumi. but this new cotton yarns' size are about two times bigger than my favorite yarn.
as I arrived in my room, I started to crochet the yarns using my old sheep pattern. I didn't modify the pattern at all, and obviously the finished amigurumi is npw two.. no four time bigger  than my original amigurumi.

I spent 5 hours to finish the big sheep

made using the exactly same pattern,
 the big one using hook number 6, while the small one using hook number 2.

big sheep and the small sheep and the unfinished BIG knitted amigurumi

big amigurumi mission completed!
what I love the most from my this big yarn is, it is a local yarn, so it's cheap :D
it also has a lot of color variations, but I only bought 5 colors for now (I don't bought the big black yarns, that's why I used brown for the face and foots).
the only problem is I don't have big eyes for my big amigurumi, but I think I'll figure it out next month :)

2 comments:

  1. Woaaah...
    Tempted to buy some... Aaarrrgggh... After this month's paycheck! *next month will be 'warteg' month again because of yarn...*

    Btw, cute sheep! (―-̮―♥)

    ReplyDelete